Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bling vs. Identity

Still bothered by a piece I saw on 20/20 a couple of weeks ago about these teenage kids who would break into young stars homes to rip off their jewelry and clothes. These kids wanted to BE these starlets and thought these items would give them identity. Sad.
So why am I bothered? I guess because again, as a mama, we try to do all the right things to raise our kids with morals, values etc. Even at a young age we teach them to share, recycle, count our blessings etc. These teenagers obviously got caught in the trap of low self esteem. I decided to make it my mission to start teaching my kiddos that they are valued for who they are and not what they wear.
Screeech! What a hypocrite! When I see these fabulous purses and shoes I say to myself: "Come to Mama. I want the finer things in life." Gals, I'm caught in a weird spot. Growing up, I was middle class with a mother who acted as if we were on well-fare which was weird because we drove around in a Mercedes. Anyway, fast forward to college where I went to school with the upper class - son of Nordstroms, grandsons of Al Capone and George Burns. You get the picture - MONEY. Still designer items never phased me. Post-college I hit the workforce and made little to no money for a couple of years. Then BAM! Great income equals great shoes, purses, outfits. Funny how when I made $15K a year I managed just fine but then making $50K and being so young I was in debt. So I had to fish myself out of debt. In my late 20's I hit the motherload and made crazy money. Aah, that was the life - living in Chi-Town and just loving The Mile. Of course, I was way more responsible. Fast forward to now. I'm a well-taken care of mom and I want the finer things in life. I want my kids to have these designer things. At this age, I am the one in control of what goes in the shopping bag. So I feel a huge Catch 22. I struggle with being responsible for my kids' self-worth; their identity.
And then it all comes back to perspective when I drive by 50th and Arden in Edina and see that it can all be gone in minutes.

No comments: