Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fantasy Cooking

Is there anyone out there willing to admit that they have fantasies about cooking these great dishes and feeding our children the most fun, delicious, wholesome meals but end up getting take out because it never happens? Our family gave up meat (all but diary, eggs and fish) so I was excited to whip out my vegetarian cookbooks and get back to the old ways of eating. I have many cookbooks because I am always thinking I'm going to need that one recipe for that one event. Perfect example, I was all excited to host Livia for a playdate with Bella on Monday and I had my cute Toddler Cafe cookbook all set to whip up a super fun lunch for both. Since I absolutely HATE to grocery shop, I put it off until the very last minute. Of course every time I do that, then the pressure is really on so then I pick less fun stuff, then I get mad that I'm settling and then the inevitable...I just chuck the whole idea. What did I serve? Grill cheese and ants on a log. Really? I'm so "all or nothing". What is that? Why can't I be 1/2 way or gray instead of black or white? So it brings me to Bridgett's post baby meal. How excited am I to find the perfect, fun meal that would follow the new mama's guidelines yet still get a nice cheer from the boys? I even wanted to bake a yummy dessert. Tomorrow's my day. I had so many recipes picked out plus too many different dessert recipes to pick just one. They are wonderful and sound delicious. Do I have all the ingredients? Will I make time to shop tomorrow? Looks like they will be having the roasted chicken and some sides. I started looking for recipes weeks ago!! Don't get me wrong, I am not saying take out is horrible. No way, those words will never come out my mouth considering I support fast food almost too much - I love it. I remember when Beau was born and a meal was delivered, I felt like it was a big warm hug that lasted weeks. I also remember these decadent chocolate cookies from Rustica that Michelle brought me so I will throw some of those into my delivery. I know no matter what I bring, Bridgett will embrace. I also know that neither Bella nor Livia were bummed that they got grilled cheese and ants on a log. But girlfriend, help me get over this fantasy of being Martha Stewart!

2 comments:

Rose said...

**whispers...you need to PRG with Sarina**

:)

Unknown said...

the meal was fantastic! and what ever we do is always our best, and perfect for that moment as long as we are in the now. a grilled cheese and ants on a log made with ease and joy is just as nourishing to our souls as a "perfect" meal that taxes us to create. The energetic value of food can impact our health just as much as the nutritional value. Sometimes, I just take an extra moment to bless the mac and cheese. To express gratitude for a food that my son loves to eat and is easy to prepare. And then I take a few bites myself :) you are divine, miss barb. And i thank you for all your thinking and wonderful preparation and cooking and hosting.